Tuesday, May 26, 2009

What warms your heart?


Anyone who knows me will tell you that I did not have your average "Leave it to Beaver" upbringing. My parents did the best they could and I have no doubt that they love me very much, but Ward and June Cleaver they were not. So the other day I was thinking about my Mom and our relationship. I got to thinking about a birthday I had when I was very young, maybe 7 or 8, and I was really sick. I was home from school in bed and feeling really bad. I couldn't have a birthday party because I was too ill. I will never forget what my Mom did. She called me into the kitchen and boy was I surprised. The room was all decorated with birthday decorations, even balloons and party hats. There were pretty wrapped packages and when I looked to see who the packages were from I realized the party was thrown by all our pets. We always had lots of pets. I had gifts from all the different pets we had at the time and they all came to the party. We had a party with cake and ice cream, just my Mom, me and all the animals. Funny the little things you remember, that will bring a warm glow to your heart forever. Do you have a special memory from your childhood?

1 comment:

  1. OH! I like your story!
    Special memory? I guess I remember clearly when I was 3 and my mom took me to Woolworth's lunch counter for a root beer or ice cream, and the part I liked best was SPINNING around and around on the stool. Plus all the gum under the counter---it was a moonscape!

    ReplyDelete