Thursday, May 21, 2009

The beginning of beagle adventures

I love my beagles. I never in my life would have thought those words would come out of my mouth, but there they are. Well I guess they really came out of my fingers, since I am typing, not talking, but that is another topic. My love affair with these, not so right in the head creatures, started about 5 years ago. I was working in Louisiana (I live in Houston, TX) one day and happened to see an animal shelter and just stopped in. My youngest daughter had been wanting a puppy of her own for a while. I looked at all the cute little pups in their cells and then I saw Nick. Nick was the only puppy who just sat and looked at me with a look that said "what are looking at?", no jumping or crazy excitement. When I went over to his cage he went and got his ball and promptly brought it over for me to inspect, not touch mind you, just see. I was hooked. After going through a lot of paperwork and last minute background checks, to make sure I was fit to take this little guy home, there was a fast trip to Wal Mart to buy a carrier and misc. items and we were ready to go. My first clue that this was maybe a bad idea was when we put him in the passenger seat and I reached over to give him a treat and he bit me. I just assumed it was nerves. You know what they say about assuming. Myself and a fellow employee snuck him into the hotel, with the wink from the front desk manager that we knew, and he spent the night with me in the Holiday Inn. Now as most of you beagle owner should know, keeping a beagle quiet in a hotel, or anyplace for that matter, is not an easy task. Anyway for all his bad behaviour, he wormed his way into my heart faster than any dog I think I have ever had. The looks these guys give you. When my daughter moved out, I just had to go and get my own, because I missed him so much and that is how the beagle adventures began.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world - you're going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOODNESS what a sweet beagle baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know what you mean though. Our first was a stray---not an angel, but totally sweet natured and loyal and loveable, and he lived almost forever, and then we came across Penny and you never realized how much you needed a beagle until you have one! And here in the north? Where it is so cold all year? She, um, is a cuddly little teddy bear at night.

    ReplyDelete