Thursday, May 28, 2009

Just wondering


So, do any of you with grown children, get calls like this in the middle of a work day??

Daughter: "Mom, How long does it take to bake a potato?"
Me: "I don't know about 30 to 45 minutes."
Daughter: "That long?"
Me: "Usually, it depends on how big the potato is."
Daughter: "Well, I can't wait that long."
Me: "Well, you could just buy one of those ones in the plastic that you do in the microwave. They come out pretty good and only take about 8 minutes."
Daughter: "But will I like it?"
Me: "I don't know, I think they are pretty good."
Daughter: "I want it to taste like a real potato."
Me: "Well I think they taste like real potatoes."
Daughter: "OK, I will call you back when I get to the store."
Me: "Why are you calling me when you get to the store?"
Daughter: "So you can tell me where they are."

Now, I live in another town, if the potatoes aren't in the produce department in the store in her town, how in the world would I be able to help her find them. One time she called me so I could tell her how to pick out a cantaloupe....over the phone. I can't even pick out a good cantaloupe in person, much less over the phone. The funny thing is I feel like I am a less than adequate mom, because I can't pick out a cantaloupe over the phone. So, I was just wondering if any of you other mom's out there can do it?

4 comments:

  1. Loved this post! This sounded so familiar with my girls. When they were still living at home they would not enter the kitchen unless there was food already made. They had no interest what so ever to cook or bake anything! When they moved out I thought they would call often,but somehow they still manage to find foods that are ready made. The few times they have tried cooking on their own I enjoyed their questions. That´s also the reason I post recipe´s on my blog. I know that someday they will eventually start cooking and if I am not able to help in person, at least they can take a look there.
    And no, I can´t pick out a cantaloupe on the phone either!! :)
    I have become a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TOO FUNNY!
    I just have a beagle......and she'll eat anything....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your girls are just like their mother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can find a potato in the store, after a little while anyway!

    ReplyDelete